As a GBCSA Member, Eco-Insulation, is involved in the production of green thermal insulation building material from recycled commercial cellulose waste streams. The greening of South Africa's underdeveloped low-cost housing sector represents a major opportunity to get it right, first time. Green street projects are steps in the right direction. We are encouraged by this development.
Eco-Insulation believes that the usage of our product above the ceiling, within the cavity or even under the floor will contribute significantly to a favourable rating of future building projects – “designed” and “as built”.
We base these claims on the following facts about our product:
- As a recycled cellulose material the product is effectively upcycled, leaving minimal environmental footprint during manufacture thanks to its low energy mechanical process – meaning low embodied energy.
- The energy-saving performance of the product, once installed, is excellent – considerably benefiting the energy performance of the whole building. In certain building designs under extreme summer conditions, buildings have been observed to be up to 8 – 10 ºC cooler, and considerably warmer in winter.
- It is readily recycled when no longer needed in situ.
- In the case where downcycling is the only option, it can be put to use in various agricultural applications. Significantly, it is one of few insulating materials to be fully biodegradable.
- Eco-Insulation is a zero-emission product. It is safe to have in the home. This is a major advantage over many composite insulation offerings in the market.
- Well-suited to mass housing development projects. Eco-Insulation's sun-contractors can service multiple housing units during a single visit. The product is seamlessly pumped into place and once installed, settles and forms a high-performance thermal protection layer that conforms to the requirements of SANS 10400 XA Codes on demand.
Specifiers be warned: Advertising a product as being “SABS tested” does not mean that the product is SABS approved. Only products carrying the SABS mark comply with the relevant standard. Eco-Insulation proudly displays the SABS Certification Mark. It also carries a fire rating of B/B1/2, meaning no spread of flame.